Friday, August 13, 2010

Oh! to say Ah!

INSPIRATION. Such an unassuming little word. Such a trivial sounding word. But if a word can move mountains, it should be this word! What’s life without a little inspiration?(We’ll get to the perspiration part later!) Finally it’s that measly one percent that makes you rise above others. I am sure Edison knew that when he made his quote!*

So what inspires me? Me, being Ordinary Citizen and all? I take inspiration from wherever I can get some. Not very choosy, that’s me. I love positive people. They have such a glow about them and so often that glow rubs off on me too. I love people who look at life’s tragic twists and still find something funny to laugh about. Yup, those tiny laugh lines on people’s faces - inspires me! I love to watch babies learn to walk or ride a tricycle or get that tower of blocks to stand, for heaven’s sake! Have you realized the ‘me baby, me be tiny, but me will do it’ attitude of babies! I love it when I see old couples holding hands. Ah, love inspires!

In all this, I have realised that it isn’t my neighbours fancy car or the glittering window of the nearby Tanishq showroom, that inspires me. It’s just life in all its splendor that goads me to be a better person. It’s the innocent trust in my children’s eyes that make me want to be the ‘supermom’ they believe me to be. It’s the shared laughter between my husband and me that inspires our love to achieve a special glow. It’s the quiet confidence my parents have in me that makes me want to cross and jump over life’s barriers. It’s that special giggle shared between sisters that inspires a bond created at birth to strengthen as we grow older.

These are my inspirations. My family. They inspire and very often they also cause me to perspire! But if we dig deep enough, we will find that what inspires us are the simple things in life. The ordinary people we meet that have depths of extraordinariness in them. Everyday occurrences. All it takes is the nose of bloodhound to get a whiff of the extraordinary. A dazzling sunset. An everyday occurrence, but what an extraordinary daily event! What an inspiring end to a day.

What has inspired me recently? “I am the master of my fate; the captain of my soul” William Ernest Henley. Quoted so eloquently by Morgan Freeman in 'Invictus'.
And not to forget ‘itsy bitsy’ spider, who kept climbing that damned water spout!

*”Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration” Thomas Alva Edison

No comments:

Post a Comment